We all know that the internet is full of useful information. We also know that there are scary (and potentially dangerous) things out there. Here are a few simple tips to help keep you and your computer safe from viruses, malware, and information phishing.
- Use trusted browsers and keep them updated. Make sure you only download updates straight from the developer.
- We encourage all users to surf the Web with Google Chrome as it is regularly and securely updated. Many viruses are disguised as app or program updates. Keep yourself safe by only updating programs from trusted sources.
- Don’t click on website ads!
- Free trials (and other advertisements) are often not what they seem and can infect your computer. You can block these ads using a free browser add-on like Ad Block Plus.
- Install security software.
- These services are free and can not only prevent your computer from becoming infected, but help you remove any nasty malware your computer might pick up. We suggest Sophos as they offer blocking and scanning features for free.
- Keep your passwords safe!
- Never share your password with someone you don’t trust. To avoid people gaining access to your accounts, change important passwords regularly (every 6 months or so).
- Don’t open or respond to strange emails.
- This is a no brainer, but don’t engage with other Internet users that don’t appear to be emailing you with a credible email address.
If you receive a suspicious email or think that your computer might have a virus, don’t panic! Stop, drop, and roll and give us a call at (888) 851-4879.